ARPA-E’s Active Role at CERAWeek 2023
CERAWeek brings the global energy industry together to share insights and strategies on what’s next for global energy markets, geopolitics, and technology. CERAWeek convenes government officials, industry leaders, academics, technology innovators, financial leaders, and thought leaders in one space for what Politico has coined the "[energy] industry's Super Bowl.”
ARPA-E leadership utilized the 2023 CERAWeek Innovation Agora to engage attendees and give them an update on the agency’s accomplishments and future plans. The Innovation Agora is a part of CERAWeek and covers transformational technology with a continued focus on new technologies for decarbonization. Through Agora Pods and Lyceums, ARPA-E’s leadership and commercialization team sparked new thinking on the topic and gave deep dives into innovative solutions to today’s energy challenges.
ARPA-E Involvement at CERAWeek 2023
ARPA-E Director Evelyn Wang gave an overview of ARPA-E, outlined how to work with the agency, and shared information about ARPA-E’s focused programs. Program Director Dr. Jenifer Shafer joined her to describe her work with the CURIE and GEMINA programs, and to talk about what ARPA-E is looking into for the future.
Director Wang Presenting her Lyceum with PD Dr. Shafer
Dr. Shafer Describing Future ARPA-E Focus Areas
Technology-to-Market (T2M) Advisor Jonathan Glass participated in a “Pod Session” where he discussed challenges to integrating variable renewable resources into the grid, and talked about how ARPA-E’s PERFORM program provides solutions to overcome those grid challenges.
T2M Advisor Sam Wurzel also took part in a Pod Session about the prospects for a competitive fusion industry.
T2M Advisor Dr. Cremer Moderating SCALEUP Panel
CERAWeek ARPA-E SCALEUP Panel – Dr. Gregg Cremer, Ian Dickinson, Dr. Howard Schmidt, and Dr. Shreya Dave
A wide range of ARPA-E performers were also in attendance and gave talks at CERAWeek, including:
- ECOSynBio and REMOTE Program Performer LanzaTech
- Exploratory Topic Performer Advanced Ionics
- DAYS Program Performer Quidnet Energy
- CIRCUITS Program Performer Ampaire
- Exploratory Topic Performer EvolOh
- OPEN 2018 Program Performer Syzygy Plasmonics
- MOVE Program Performer NuMat Technologies
- DAYS Program Performer Antora Energy
- OPEN 2021 Program Performer VEIR
- GENSETS Program Performer Aerodyne Research
- Exploratory Topic Performer C-Zero
- SCALEUP 2019 Performer LongPath Technologies
- MINER Program Performer Travertine Technologies
- GEMINA Program Performer Moltex Energy
- SCALEUP 2019 and MONITOR Program Performer Bridger Photonics
- Exploratory Topic Performer Verdox
- OPEN 2018 Program Spinout Company DexMat
- ONWARDS Program Performer Oklo
- METALS Program Performer Infinium
- Exploratory Topic Performer Phoenix Tailings
- OPEN 2021 Program Performer Sublime Systems
ARPA-E was a part of a larger DOE presence at CERAWeek, including U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm, who delivered a keynote address. Also participating as speakers and panelists were leaders from the DOE Loan Program Office and Office of Technology Transitions, which announced a partnership with industry to accelerate long-duration energy storage during CERAWeek.