Rapid AI-based Dissection of Ashes using Raman and XRF Spectroscopy (RADAR-X)

ARPA-E Project Image


Program:
Special Projects
Award:
$1,000,000
Location:
Champaign,
Illinois
Status:
ACTIVE
Project Term:
06/02/2021 - 06/01/2023

Project Innovation + Advantages:

Municipal solid waste (MSW) management involves three primary practices: landfilling, recycling, and incineration for energy recovery (waste-to-energy or WTE). WTE is a potentially sustainable method of MSW management because it reduces landfilling and generates energy. Incineration reduces input waste mass by 70%. The remaining 30%—in the form of bottom and fly ashes—has to be discarded or landfilled. A main barrier to beneficial use of these ashes is the variability in their composition, which renders them as an unreliable byproduct. The University of Illinois aims to design a low-cost and rapid real-time AI-based ash analysis technology that accurately predicts ash composition and its performance as a potential byproduct.

Contact

ARPA-E Program Director:
Dr. Douglas Wicks
Project Contact:
Prof. Nishant Garg
Press and General Inquiries Email:
ARPA-E-Comms@hq.doe.gov
Project Contact Email:
nishantg@illinois.edu

Related Projects


Release Date:
01/09/2020